Wednesday, May 14, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Sky1

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.

Title: Sky1: Foundation
Series: Sky
Author: William Amerman
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Post-Apocalypse Thriller, Sci Fi
Sky1: Foundation is available in Amazon Kindle format for $3.99
or on smashwords in multiple formats for $3.99

"Nick Burke has been allotted 389 square feet of living space by the government. Disease spreads quickly when people are packed together so tightly. Quarantines are regularly imposed in an effort to contain the spread of infection. Lately, though, rumors are spreading that quarantines on some Grounds are not being lifted.


When a quarantine is imposed on Nick's Ground, he and his family are trapped. The only way out is to break laws that carry a penalty of death. Fearing for his life and the safety of his family, Nick joins forces with a local group to move to another Ground. But can he trust his new friends?"



First of all, I want to note that the licensing note in this book made me smile. It says "This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people unless you really like it and, well, can't help yourself. Otherwise, if you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author." 

So. I must have missed the immigration lesson at school...I'm embarrassed to say I didn't realize emigration was a word. Thank you, handy dictionary, for enlightening me on the difference between immigration and emigration. Anyway, that said, I appreciate the author's use of it. There is quite a bit of intelligence lingering in this righting. In some ways it reminds me of reading a Chuck Palahniuk novel, which I love.

Anyway, at first I wasn't thrilled with the big leap backward toward the beginning of the book, as well as the way it jumped back and forth. Once everything started coming together, I kind of understood why he chose to start that way. I felt thoroughly sorry for Nick throughout the book. There are so many twist and turns, but it flows well. The supporting characters are fantastic and I quite enjoyed the personalities of the females, especially.

The ending took me by surprise. I don't want to divulge too much, but...it sure didn't end the way I "hoped" it would. It was good, because it was different. I know that the next  two books in the series are going to take place prior to this point, but I hope there is something in the future that will touch upon what happens to the other characters. I'm not sure whether it even could progress from there, but I felt like their stories were a bit too open-ended for that to be finished.

I have begun reading Sky2 as well and will have a giveaway for it soon, if you want to get a head start and read this first book, I'd recommend it.


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment