Thursday, March 20, 2014

Ostara Egg Dye Experiment!

First and foremost, SPRING IS HERE!!! YAY! Happy spring equinox, folks :]

Second, this year, I'm using natural egg dyes. And let me tell you, it's an event. If you want bright, bold eggs, this is not a quick-dye method. At all. BUT it is chemical free and they are beautiful and, in my opinion, worth the trouble. Would I do all of these on a budget? Not the yellow. Spices aren't cheap. The rest? Yeah, probably.

I used these four pages to concoct my dyes:
Door to Door Organics Colorado
Blue Bonnets and Brownies
The Kitchn
Thy Hand Hath Provided


In the end, I made my dyes as follows






Pink

4c water
1T vinegar
1T salt
2 rough chopped beets
2 bags wildberry zinger




Purple

2c water
2c grape juice
1T vinegar
1T salt
2 bags raspberry zinger

**I think I did something wrong here - it just some weird film on the eggs and I didn't like how the color was coming along so I scrapped it and dispersed the eggs into other colors.





Blue

4c water
1T vinegar
1T salt
1/2 red cabbage, rough chopped






Green

4c water
1T vinegar
1T salt
4oz spinach
3oz blueberry
1T turmeric
**this didn't go well - I ended up adding blue food coloring bc it was yellow beyond fixing. maybe if you skip turmeric altogether it would be better






Yellow

4c water
1T vinegar
1T salt
4T turmeric

(stir VERY well)



Simmer 20-30 min, strain reserving liquid for dye. Let cool to room temp. Place eggs in colors until they reach your desired saturation (hourssssss -- for sanitation reason I have to tell you to put them in the fridge during this process)




And the results?

This was after a couple hours. I think the pink looked better at this point.


Another hour or so later. I got tired of waiting. you could leave them overnight in the fridge :] There are 3 brown eggs in the picture: a pink, a green, and a blue. The ones that are a little lighter were the ones I moved from the purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment